Tuesday, January 27, 2009

words words words

Spent happy hours today talking about books.

In this month's Book Club, up for discussion was John Updike's Gertrude and Claudius, which on finishing, made me want to go back through Hamlet and Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead and then pore over all the original sources. Then, I might be ready to re-read Updike to discover a few of the delightful in-jokes and intertextual references that surely slipped past the first time around. But that's a whole separate endeavour... Also discussed was A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - filled with resonant quotes, along the lines of "Let me be something every minute of every hour of my life". Both treaty selections.

After Book Club was coffee and catch-up, which inevitably turned to book talk. And now I'm sitting, trying to decide between two things I've been loaned: whether to start reading The Kite Runner (I know, I am probably the last person on earth to read that book; there aren't even enough of us to play bridge) or to start watching a newly unwrapped Brideshead Revisited (663 minutes of viewing pleasure). Decisions decisions...

And the Shona Voice in my head pipes up: Why not have a drink while you're deliberating?

So helpful, that lady :-)

No comments: