Thursday, January 22, 2009

A mind led forward...

Ah, a morning of pretty words... idling around, listening to some fine readings of Neruda, and smiling at Jonathan Carroll quoting Tony Hoagland "There was a kiss that changed the history of my mouth" - great line!

Several moons ago I wrote a note to a friend. When next we spoke, she said she couldn't even throw away the envelope because it was so prettily written, and I said, 'Let it go. I'll write something for you to keep'. Over the months I looked for some perfect words for her - I was thinking of something about music or creativity or friends or family or overcoming loss. But nothing seemed to quite fit. We were talking last night, and planets came into alignment:

My Country Awake, by Rabindranath Tagore

Where the mind is without fear and the head held high;
Where knowledge is free;
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic walls;
Where words come out from the depth of truth;
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection;
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;
Where the mind is led forward by Thee into ever-widening thought and action;
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.


And here's an inspirational Martin Sheen, reciting the poem beautifully. And now all I need to do is choose what kind of paper, and what colour ink. Decisions decisions...

And in other news:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe have a drink while you're deciding. Oh wait now, what glass would you use...

- Shona

Orlaith said...

:-) Well, I think ideally, I'd have opted for stumpy, but considering my own belongings are still on the high seas (the stumpy glasses in this place are toooootally unsuitable), and I'm working with limited resources here, let me run the salient facts through the Glass-Choice-O-Meter: grape, night-light/candle combination, choice of music, predicted extent of drinking...whir whirrr whirrrr... ticker tape emerging...

...the super-sized bordeaux glass. And looking at it before me right now, it's so obvious...