Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Most Treaty Day

So, there I was, driving back from a delightful Book Club meeting, and a lovely series of cappuccinos with a friend (yes, the Fabulous Baking Lady - wedges of lemon drizzle cake AND marble layer cake seated beside me, looking all "Forget Granola, Eat Me For Breakfast...") and my mobile starts ringing like crazy...

News is out.

The Stinging Fly Prize 2008 has been announced. And it's, er... me.

Who is sitting here, thrilled and surprised-all-over-again and very happy to be surrounded by the sweetest congratulatory emails and calls and cards (I know! Some people are that quick off the mark).

So, it means I'll be spending a glorious fortnight in the Tyrone Guthrie Centre at some point this year. Can't wait!

The judge's report for the Stinging Fly Prize can be read over here.

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes; you guys are the best. Just adorable...

Anyhoo, I should probably be getting back to the pressing business of being delighted. Busy busy...

6 comments:

Group 8 said...

Congrats Orlaith, that's a great honour from Sinéad and the Fly. And Annaghmakerrig is fab (have you been already?)
Bask in it and enjoy it, girl!

Orlaith said...

Hey there - thanks a million! Not only have I not visited, there's an Annaghmakerrig card sitting on my mantelpiece that a friend sent saying: 'a view of a 2009 destination perhaps?'. When I read it I thought 'I'm already getting to write full-time; wanting to go to a place like that would just be greedy...' And suddenly, I've got two weeks there! So 'bask' is the perfect word - I shall commence luxuriating immediately!

Group 8 said...

It'll be great. I was let split my two weeks, so I got to go twice from the one scholarship (county council award). It's worth asking to do that. Then you can go there in two different seasons (magical) and meet heaps of different people!

Orlaith said...

Splitting into two individual weeks is a great idea! I shall see what I can wangle :-)

Thanks a million x

Padhraig Nolan said...

Aye, congrats indeed Orlaith. Being selected out of the Fly's innards is an achievement indeed! I read A Tall Tale under Spanish sun last July, yet it drew me in and under to a whole different Temperature. A worthy win.

I've blogged your success round my place. Be interested to hear how Annaghmakerrig works out?

Ciao, PJ

Orlaith said...

Thanks for the congrats PJ, and for the shout-out on your blog. Loved the scene-setting at the burnished counter of The Long Hall - most evocative. Sigh...

Will certainly report back on how Annaghmakerrig goes - should be a treat!