Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Absolutist

So, every year or two I do this 'pamper your liver' thing, involving weeks of fresh juices and trace minerals and yoga tailored to support both my liver and the space where my gall bladder once resided (sigh, you are missed, little gall bladder...)

The phase lasts 8 or 10 weeks, and tends to taper off because I just get tired of going through a buhzillion kilos of carrots (with ginger, beetroot - all kinds of treaty stuff) every week.

However, that ennui comes later; today, I'm at the enthused stage. So I bounce along aisles, loading up on all manner of salubrious fare, and wondering if there's such a thing as too many pumpkin seeds.

When I go to pay, there are huge queues everywhere, except over at the very far side of Field's. The teeny register that teeters at the edge of the Off Licence...

Resolute, I go over and wait in line. There's one woman ahead, trailing a big trolley behind her, so I scooch back behind the trolley. Which puts me smack beside the shelves of vodka.

And I avert my eyes for a moment, and another. And then the rationalisation forms:

Blackcurrants... they're rich in phytonutrients, antioxidants... a particularly fine source of Vitamin C and GLA.

I don't even need to mention the beneficial potassium levels. They had me from phytonutrient.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh lordy so its not just me rationalising the 5 a day to a fruit helping in red wine!!!! So funny x Mela