Monday, March 1, 2010

Entertaining spaces

I spent most of Friday in the V&A Museum, in their newly revamped Medieval & Renaissance galleries. Such a thoughtfully considered space, filled with a zillion treaty things: mermaid capitals and fantastic salt cellars and sumptuous tapestries and reliquaries and illuminated manuscripts and champleve enamels and lions and tigers and bears oh my...

Anyway, I'd recommend it. That's all I'm saying. Most treaty.



And from there, I met Sara and we headed for London Bridge, to gather under the arches for Southwark Playhouse's Henry V. On arrival, it turned out that for that evening, we would be mostly French. So we sat with the blue team, lining three sides of an enormous board game (the red English squeezed along the fourth side). Clearly, tonnes of thought had gone into how to communicate the heavily-edited script with a small cast, and while several things didn't really work, it was great to see them tried at least. Despite shortcomings, I thoroughly enjoyed the wacky take on Hal growing up, as trains rumbled overhead. It suited us perfectly that evening.

And the Battle of Agincourt was a skittles match. Can't beat that!

No comments: