Monday, March 8, 2010

Shoulders of Giants

I watched some of the Oscar speeches this morning; it seemed that a common theme was 'those who have gone before' - trailblazers in the form of parents, teachers, activists, spouses, icons and all the 'without whoms' (I'm not naming winner-names, in case anyone out there is managing to stifle their ears to the results until the edited highlights screen this evening).

Anyhoo (and let it be said, I'm a total sucker for this gratitude/those-who-teach-me-have-my-everlasting-respect stuff), I happily blinked tears watching it. I found it heartwarming, that - at what is potentially the most egocentric moment of a person's life - they'd see themselves as part of a continuum, as interconnected - the result of the work and lives and love of so many others, past and present. Lovely flavour of awareness and humility to the evening. Inspiring :-)

Okay, back to work.

No comments: