Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Pastry Plunge

Alrightey, today I suspect is going to be all about cake.

When I was a child my mom used to get a Gateaux Saint Honore from time to time - though I adore anything choux-esque, it was a bit busy for me. At the best of times, it has lots of textures and flavours going on, but our local bakery also added a layer of crushed pineapple, which I always squodged over to one side of the plate, along with the heavy pastry base.

I said I'd make one for the birthday boy, and so this week I've been reading recipes. There is no crushed pineapple in official sources, and the base is more often puff pastry than anything of the shortcrust variety. Basically, it's pastries puff & choux, and cremes patissiere & chantilly. And some caramel.

Deep breath. Saint Honore is the patron saint of the Pastry Folk, so there'll some incantations coming his way. Or teary pleas.

In related news, the official day was yesterday, but as the official celebration is today:



Autumn drawing to its close already. Goodness me, this season just blinked by :-)

2 comments:

TomRourke said...

I'm surprised that you didn't post a picture of the great cake itself. I'm still on a sugar buzz and fear it may be days before I can sleep it off. Amazing confection.

Orlaith said...

I'll post a photo - just need to download. Sugar ingested, sugar absorbed by osmosis, sugar sugar sugar.

And there's some creme patisserie in the fridge. Tom. [stony stare] Tom.