Monday, November 2, 2009

All Hallows

I meant to post some photos, but the camera is in another room, and two kittens are asleep on my lap...
...and then I realised I had taken a few pics with my phone on Halloween, and both the phone and its little connector cable were within stretching distance :-)

So, on Halloween in Baltimore, friends came over, and we made decorations (to hang) and dumplings (to eat), and a fine pumpkin was carved. Then we processed not-so-solemnly to the Community Hall, stopping in at the Leisure Centre (of course) to show off the Costumed Ones to the swimming pool staff.

Did I mention two of our party were carrying a coffin? Well, they were. Hence the coulda-been-more-solemn procession.

The dim-lit Community Hall was a veritable paean to the arty folk that live in the area - with gorgeous spooky hangings and death masks, and the Shelob-esque spider mascot overseeing it all. It was filled with little witches and spidermen guessing how many eyeballs in the jar and performing forensic examinations of their seasonal loot.

And then there's the pumpkin carving competition, which is taken purdy seriously:



Lovely to wander around, sip some mulled wine, dance with the kidlets (felt like a giant on the dancefloor). And then as the stormy weather rolled in, it was time for home and scary movies and candles and kitties (my ideal Halloween kitty Dubh showed no interest in the proceedings - it's not like any ham featured. Little sigh.)

2 comments:

TomRourke said...

Its not even nine and I'm hungry already just thinking of dumplings and creme patissiere (not on the same plate you understand, but now that I think about it.....). Hope the storms have abated and "normal" life has returned Sleepy Hollow.

Orlaith said...

Storms raging still - with added hailstone and higher gales today.

However, I got a lovely vanilla candle today :-)