Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Tree thoughts

I had a lovely conversation about trees at the weekend (with the Forester of Glenstal Abbey) and have been pondering trees since: trees planted in memory, or to mark a birth, or to shield a home, trees that we etch a message into, so that they can hold for us the proof of love, or simply of presence, that we once stood under its boughs, alive... There's a tree in Cambridge that a friend passed cycling to work each day; she had recently moved there, and was feeling a bit disconnected, and this small cherry tree became like a friend to her, like family, rooted and stable. And in time it flowered, as did she.

Anyhoo, that's me today. Thinking about trees.

Hold on to what is good,
Even if it's a handful of earth.
Hold on to what you believe,
Even if it's a tree that stands by itself.
Hold on to what you must do,
Even if it's a long way from here.
Hold on to your life,
Even if it's easier to let go.
Hold on to my hand,
Even if someday I'll be gone away from you.

--Pueblo Indian Prayer

4 comments:

Nita said...

That's really beautiful. I want to read it again and again. xxx and again x

Orlaith said...

Glad you like it sweetie :-)

Unknown said...

When I saw the title of your blog, I was sure you'd mention Pauline and the tree bark and barking at trees...

Orlaith said...

Ha ha!! Oh I had forgotten that lunatic humour. We have much for which to be grateful to the Golden Child :-)