Sunday, April 19, 2009

If you build it...

A still morning. Little birds are happily chirpy-singing. And if you listen very carefully, you can hear the words: "It's over. All over. We're done."

So, after an intense afternoon, talking pottery and Marc Chagall and the restoration of the Ilen project, which is progressing "unencumbered by a client or funds", we set up at Dun Na Sead (too sleepy right now to find fadas) castle for the pirate play.

And the audience began to arrive. Followed by more audience, and more. And they filled the long room of the castle, sitting and standing and perching where they could. And then more people arrived, and we finally said 'Okay: two shows.'

So we performed, to rooms so packed that I had to walk around people to get to my props, or lean over a certain Godfather-esque local publican who was seated (with his dog) right in the path of travel.

And the audiences were fantastic, and the play went just fine, twice. And although I was a smidge... stern when people started talking about putting it on again (a) for the O'Driscoll Clan gathering, and (b) every weekend through the summer, this morning, I decided I'm probably ready to start weaning myself off my say-no-to-grinding-teeth night guard. Probably.

So there's footage and photos to follow (and an Irish Times photographer appeared, so who knows what Monday's paper will contain), but right now, it's time for breakfast :-)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds like a total success. I'll catch it when it comes to Dublin on the national tour!

TomRourke said...

Hmmm, so where is Eurovision being staged this year and do they have an interval act.....I wonder....

Orlaith said...

To both of you: not even funny.