Friday, June 18, 2010

The Great Unknown

Wimbledon tickets arrived safely :-) Yet another treaty outing in place...

I'm off this evening to a live recording of the BBC's I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue. I first listened to the (slightly loopy) panel show in Grand Haven many moons ago; to get to see it live is a big treat.

My camera's finally recharged, so photos of everyday life shall resume shortly. In the meantime, here's one my brother prepared earlier. It was my second last night in Baltimore: before heading in for dinner at The Glebe, we nipped in the gardens to glimpse the irises before their all-too-brief flowering faded. Glorious colour.



Of all the events people have organised for Aung San Suu Kyi’s 65th birthday tomorrow, my favourite is the NLD Youth Members' planting of 20,000 trees in townships across her country. As a symbolic act, it resonates on oodles of levels, but for me, it's as a gesture to future generations that packs a punch. The foresight, the long-view it takes to plant these little saplings through the troubled land, in forests and on barren hilltops, where they will help to restore life; the willpower and sense of trust, that what the saplings represent will reach fruition, even if it is beyond our lifetime's reach. And to those future generations, those trees will say 'We believed'.

Have a great weekend, all X

No comments: