Monday, January 11, 2010

Christmas Catch-Up

I'm getting through some photos from the last few weeks. This was Christmas morning in Baltimore, where the village gathers around for the Christmas Swim, before all heading to the home of the lovely Bushe family for a seasonal tipple and treats.


Posted by Picasa


You meet the known world, laugh and cheer together, then get warm and share a drink, and talk presents and recipes, before going home to embark upon Christmas dinner.

As Christmas Day traditions go, it's pretty fabulous.

And picking up the Rilke strand of this blog, I am treasuring 'A Year with Rilke' which offers readings for each day. This was the reading for 1 January:

I Choose to Begin

I love all beginnings, despite their anxiousness and their uncertainty, which belong to every commencement. If I have earned a pleasure or a reward, or if I wish that something had not happened; if I doubt the worth of an experience and remain in my past--then I choose to begin at this very second.
Begin what? I begin. I have already thus begun a thousand lives.

RM Rilke

2 comments:

TomRourke said...

I know I'm a philistine to be focusing on the picture rather than the lovely words from Rilke, but I was just fascinated with what people choose to wear (or not) when taking a public plunge into the icy waters of Baltimore, with Santa hats being by no means bizarre in the context.

Orlaith said...

Even the safety guys and the dogs wore santa hats!