Friday, January 29, 2010

Below the horizon

I think I mentioned Jason de Caires Taylor before - he's the guy who does the phenomenal underwater sculptures (below is probably his best known).



Anyhoo, his next project is underway: in the waters around Cancun, three new works are sited and currently growing new things at the bottom of the sea - The Archive of Lost Dreams (where an archivist is categorising messages-in-bottles from around the world), Man on Fire (growing coral flames) and The Gardener of Hope, who is busy nurturing coral cuttings rescued from parts of the reef system damaged by extreme weather and human activity.



He did a project in Canterbury called 'Alluvia', which I suspect must transform the urban environment. They reminded me of Antony Gormley's statues around the South Bank - powerful presences.







His site is well worth some dreamy browsing time.

Have a lovely weekend, all :-)

2 comments:

TomRourke said...

See! I've said it time and again, that Total Immersion Swimming thing is way too chilling..... I knew sooner or later someone would just drift off to sleep and......

Seriously though. Beautiful images. Thank You.

Orlaith said...

You know, their visible sense of peace in the water would probably be a good focus for me when fishey swimming and feeling I should Do More, Better.

:-)