Friday, September 4, 2009

Things that make you go hmmm...

An e-intensive few days - apart from my stuff, there was a little flurry of things that other people are working on, with which I was able to help. One more left to do, then I'm all about me again!

But there are times online, you know when you're not necessarily researching, it's sheer exploration, e-play... and (via Jonathan Carroll) I came across learn something every day which is fun, and offers insights like:

[yes, we're ignoring the lack of apostrophe]

Now, I'm not saying we can't all live happy lives without this knowledge, but such things do make me ponder, and wonder. I used to love reading appliance instructions when I lived in States - from the list of warnings, you could guess at the court cases that had preceded this version of the manual (microwave: not to be used for drying kittens). Anyhoo, my personal favourite was the blurb accompanying one of those hand-held whisky-zappy wands, which warned: Do not operate whilst sleeping.

Turns out, it's not at all unusual, judging from this list of numpty instructions. (The Swedish chainsaw, if true, is the clear winner.)

Like I said, things that make me ponder, and wonder.

Have a great weekend :-)

2 comments:

TomRourke said...

Swedish chain saw...priceless....ouch. In terms of favorites though, I think the flood warning one's endearingly funny. As for mattress swallowing, I'm beginning to think there's an inuendo in there somewhere ......

Orlaith said...

Those are great, and I'm endeared to the toaster warning as well: Do not use underwater...

:-)