Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Breakfast Advice

Ah, it's that time of year where pregnant women seem to abound!

Sweet moment this morning: I was in Apple Betty's, which is empty except for me and a table of folk having a big catch-up session. And there's a little blonde girl who's zipping around the place, looking like one of Rodin's nymphs come to life. She keeps talking to the nice ladies behind the counter, and bounces over to my table to tell me that my "new" coffee is coming (=with extra shot).

Anyhoo, so she stands by my side, drawing away happily. I sip my new improved coffee, and we chat about letters and pictures and colours. And when her mom (who's a member of the heavily pregnant multitude) tries to repossess her, murmuring "If you were half as well behaved at my table as you are here...", the girl slips from her hold, sits herself down opposite me, and draws quietly, smiling to herself. So her mom leaves her with me until it's time to go, time to coerce the child with the wonders of the Outside World: promises of shops and playgrounds and all manner of treaty things. As she's leaving, the mother turns to me and smiles: "You obviously work with children".

Er... no. No. Head shake. No.

She turns to go, pauses, turns back. "You really should." She nods, satisfied, and off they go to the Outside.

Pretty adorable.

2 comments:

TomRourke said...

Well I know a whole bunch of young folk who will have you haunted for the summer given half a chance....incoming!! (I thought the sack being packed for Baltimore was coffee beans but it could well be beads and "fecky things").

Orlaith said...

Ha ha!! Could anyone *have* too many fecky things?? I can see it now: craft-ey mornings, featuring ribbons and beads and glitter glue...

See you all soon!

PS - bring coffee bring coffee bring coffee...