Thursday, November 13, 2008

The final introduction

"Missing Wednesday to Reception, please. Could Missing Wednesday please report to Reception..."

Well, the week progresses, buffered along by undulations of coffee and wine. One second-guessing moment, when I was chatting to a lovely woman in Skibbereen the other day:

WOMAN
And where are you living?

ME
Baltimore.

WOMAN
That's where I live. Whereabouts are you?

ME
Mariner's Cove.

WOMAN
(kind of pondering)
What's your name?

ME
Orlaith.

WOMAN
(penny dropping)
Oh! You're that Orlaith...

So, there's me, not at all sure what this means. If it's conceivably a good thing. Or bad. Portent-of-doom kind of bad.

WOMAN
Someone mentioned you the other day and I didn't know who you were and they were like, "Orlaith! You know - Orlaith!" and you know the way you hate being the last person to know someone...

Actually, no. I have no strong feelings about being the last person to meet anyone. Being the last person to discover The West Wing or The Kite Runner or Dial2Do, maybe...

But I understand it's very possible to have those feelings about people.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice plug for Dial2Do. Clever

Orlaith said...

Why, thank you kind lady!!
I was too lazy to put in a link - maybe I'll go and do that right now...