Monday, September 5, 2011

Cross with care

I love over-water-bridges, from a little stepping stone slab to the massive Mackinac bridge that disappears into mist before your eyes can make out the other side. Love the idea of them as things that join, that traverse... a place of boundaries over a constantly moving channel.

They're just fab.

Anyhoo, there are oodles of photos I have been meaning to take of Dublin's bridges. The following were not on the list - they came by surprise. Earlier today while I was walking home in light rain, I decided to cross at the Ha'penny Bridge. And noticed something different about it.


How intriguing is that...


And on the other side...


And when I went to cross into Temple Bar, it turned out that the enigmatic little messages weren't limited to the bridge at all:


I have no idea of the who or the why. I do love them though - little sparks of thoughtfulness and wonder in the most everyday of settings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And now I'm wondering just how long those messages have been there, unseen or at least unrecognised, just waiting for someone with your eye to follow their trail?

As for bridges, there are some truly magical crossings. Some that soar, shining, clean limbed and seemingly indestructible. My favourites are those who bear the marks of countless crossings, their burnished timbers telling tales of love and woe. Grown crooked with age but enduring still.

Hmmm.... another morning's musings inspired by the Weft of Words. :-)