Saturday, October 23, 2010

Therapy

I get occasional bouts of indecisiveness these days. Maybe it's because I'm in an inbetweeney phase, but I second- and third-guess choices, wondering if I should wait until I've [insert random act here: found new home/job etc.]. I noticed I was in the midst of a bout today as I stood staring at a selection of bed linen, humming and hawing.

All of the linen was white. That's the seriousness of the dithering I'm describing here. It drives me kray-zee...

Anyhoo, I walked away, and on the way home, I noticed a little gallery/craftey shop in a basement, and down I went. There were lovely glass pieces in the window that I spent some time admiring in silence, then wandered through the other two rooms. In the second room was a very beautiful painting. I went to ask the Nice Shop Lady about the artist, and she smiled, "It's the same lady who does the glass that you like..."

I looked at the painting some more; took it outside to see it in natural light. Explained to the Nice Shop Lady that I didn't have a new home yet, so I didn't know what kind of space it might go in...

And realised, I could care less. Blew most of my week's wages on the painting *and* two glass pieces (one is a present), then spent the remainder on a bunch of Thich Nhat Hanh books and a supersturdy meditation cushion.

All without a second thought :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Envious and delighted.

Orlaith said...

:-)

In terms of envy: one of the random acts not present was 'until I've found out for sure if all my belongings are lost'. They are. And with them, paintings that once brought such beauty to my daily life.

I came across a quote a few months back about buying shoes, and how it's an inherently optimistic act: a statement that you're intending to be here, to live, to walk, to dance. That's art for me. To quote MacNeice: 'There will be sunlight later, and the equation will come out at last'.

Anonymous said...

Wow.....