Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Morning travels

Each walk to school is a new frontier. Many mornings, we have the path to ourselves, free to roam and zoom about and laugh too loudly. The trip fosters a conversation between our little group: whether walking, running or scootering, we come back together for bursts of talking.


Stories or dreams recounted, fairies and animals glimpsed or imagined as we journey through the dark woods...


And at the edge of the forest - sometimes - sunshine awaits.


Out in the open, nothing can stop them. Lily (age 2) calls out a warning if she feels the distance between us is too great.


Once inside the school gates, their attention is swallowed up by a zillion distractions: friends and teachers and the school day ahead. And the distance becomes too great to overcome.

But the short, shared journey there is precious :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This morning, on the street near where I work, a guy passed me by on a skateboard. Not a kid in a shell suit and baseball cap, but a guy, maybe thirty or so, in an expensive suit, ear phones and briefcase. On a skateboard. In the traffic. It was a really striking image and I was sorry I hadn't a camera at the time, or the time since to blog about it. Your picture of the girl on the scooter reminded me I should carry my camera more often but I guess your blog reminded me that I should leave it to the professionals!!

Orlaith said...

The ear phones worry me - in traffic, on a skateboard... unless he was dressed as the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man, I would worry for his safety.

:-)