Friday, September 10, 2010

Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow

As I'm pulling out to go shopping, the nice man who spearheads the residents' association waves for me to stop.

"I have something for you. Cat collar."

Did one of my cats lose theirs? No - he's giving me one from his cat. A cat who is no more.

I park the car.

We go from specifics - the story of his recent cat - to a general conversation about cats, dogs, having to put animals down. It transpires that the general is only a surface conversation; what we're really talking about is human quality of life, the self-governing right to end our own lives and what circumstances might necessitate that. He's clear on what is non-negotiable for him. And we talk about it until he feels that his point has been made, and has been heard.

"I'm not ready yet though!" he adds, waving me on my way.

It was a very Gladiator moment: "Not today".

Have a lovely weekend, folks :-)

No comments: