Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Dip

Well, another fabulous few days. Christmas Eve morning began with a friend calling with champagne, and I never looked back!

On Christmas morning here, there's a swim off the pier in aid of a local charity or group. Growing up in Malahide, there were always a few people who went swimming on Christmas Day, but I never really paid it any attention. Here it's a bigger deal - the whole village comes out to watch - and for some reason, I thought it might be a good thing to take part in.

And so yesterday morning I warmed my swimsuit on a radiator, and poured myself a glass of champagne. Then off I went. Everyone gathers in the sail club, then make their way out along the pier, and jump on in. Brrrr. It was cold - very cold - but not 'ohmygodiamgonnadie' cold. There were about 35 of us, including a bunch of very brave kids. We swam across to the far pier and back again.

And then there's hot ports, whiskies, chocolate.

The day went great: skyping with Doncaster, Dublin and Singapore, and catching up with friends over the day. The venison with chocolate sauce was very very good, and the champagne jelly & syllabub was a perfect follow-on. And then I joined a local family for post-prandial games & conversation.

Most treaty.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog again! Very many greetings for a happy Christmas from us all, including Mrs C who is staying with us in the UK from Garajau. With fond memories, A&M with Mrs C

Orlaith said...

Hello folks!! Fantastic to hear from you - hope the year has been good to you all, and that my letter to Mrs C arrived at some point over the summer. Never even managed Christmas cards this year, due to car accident on the official Day of Writing. Next year...